* Select native plants that require less water, fertilizer and pesticide.
* Mulch flower beds to reduce weeds and conserve water.
* Hand pull weeds.
* Plan pest-resistant species or species that attract beneficial insects.
* Compost lawn wastes instead of washing clipping or leaves down the storm drain (Where do I take compost?).
* Avoid putting lawn waste near ditches or creeks.
* Install practices such as rain gardens that filter runoff and promote infiltration. Permeable pavers can be used on top of open-graded stone to create driveways and sidewalks that allow rain to soak into the ground. Allow downspout water an opportunity to soak into the ground (at least a few feet away from foundation) instead of connecting it directly to a storm drain or street gutter.
Pesticides and Fertilizers
* Always follow the label for disposal (Solid Waste Management).
* Avoid overwatering after applications & watch the weather for rain, since most will be washed away
* After application, sweep driveways and sidewalks onto the yard where it can do its work
* Use natural fertilizers such as compost or bone meal
* Use slow release nitrogen fertilizer
* Place waste in the trash
* If walking the pet, carry a plastic bag and pooper-scooper (be a good neighbor)
*Routinely check for leaks.
* Use kitty litter; saw dust, or wood chips to soak up fluid spills. Be sure to sweep up and dispose properly.
* Recycle Used Motor Oil (Where do I take it?)
* Do not “top off” when fueling your car, truck, motorcycle or any other motorized vehicle.
* Use car wash to clean your vehicle or other motorized vehicles
Household Hazardous Waste
* Follow Label Directions. Use and dispose hazardous household material properly.
* Use the least hazardous products
* Unused household chemicals should be taken to Solid Waste Management for proper dispose.
* Have your septic tank inspected every 3-5 years.
* Compost your kitchen garbage, not the garage disposal.
* Don’t pour household chemicals down the drain. This could disrupt the septic system’s treatment process and contaminate groundwater.