Posted on November 19, 2021 at 12:09 PM by Curt Ellis
On October 12, 2021, the Porter County Board of Commissioners approved an ordinance regarding the use of Golf Carts, Off-Road, and Other Like Vehicles on highways and roads under the jurisdiction of the County. You can read the ordinance below and/or DOWNLOAD & PRINT THE ORDINANCE. You can also VIEW A GIS MAP that shows which county roads that can and cannot be used by golf carts and off road vehicles.
PLEASE NOTE: This ordinance ONLY applies roads in unincorporated Porter County. Unincorporated means outside of the municipal boundaries of our cities and towns Also, it DOES NOT APPLY to State Roads and US Highways.
CHAPTER 10.28 GOLF CARTS, OFF-ROAD, AND OTHER LIKE VEHICLES
- LICENSED PERSON. Any person holding a valid Indiana motor vehicle operator's license, or a comparable license issued by another state.
- GOLF CART. Any three or four-wheeled motor-powered vehicle:
- With a maximum design speed of not more than 35 mph;
- With a maximum weight not to exceed 2,200 pounds; and
- With the capacity to transport one or more persons from one place to another or for recreational use
- OFF ROAD-VEHICLE. Any four-wheeled motorized vehicle having either a side-by-side seating arrangement or straddled seating for which the state does not require registration and plating to utilize in going from one place to another for transportation or recreation. The term includes vehicles commonly referred to as all-terrain vehicles (ATV), side-by-side Vehicles (SxS), utility task vehicles (UTV), recreational off-highway vehicles, (ROV).
10.28.020: Equipment, Drivers Licences And Insurance Requirements.
- In addition to being in good operating condition, the Golf Cart, Off-Road, or other like vehicle must have the following:
- a windshield,
- seatbelts for use by the operator and all passengers,
- an operating horn,
- headlights, taillights, turn signals and brake lights visible from a distance of at least 500 feet,
- rearview mirror.
- a roof mounted amber or yellow flashing light, or a slow-moving triangle sign fixed on rear of the vehicle.
- The Operator of a Low Speed or Off-Road Vehicle shall maintain insurance on the operation of the vehicle in the minimum amounts specified in I.C. 9-25-4-5.
- The Golf Cart, Off-Road, or other like Vehicle shall only be operated on roads, within the jurisdiction of Porter County, by licensed drivers.
- The utilization of Golf Carts, Off-Road Vehicles, or other like vehicles in and on the highways or roadways of the County (including highways in the state highway system) is prohibited where the posted speed limit is above thirty-five (35 mph) miles per hour.
- The utilization of Golf Carts, Off-Road Vehicles, or other like vehicles is prohibited on the following county roads regardless of posted speed limit:
- Division Road, Tower Road, Smoke Road, 700 North, 625 West, Calumet Road, Meridian Road, Joliet Road, 100 South, and Sedley Road.
- No Golf Cart, Off-Road Vehicles, or other like vehicle may be operated on a state highway or a road under the jurisdiction of the county with a speed limit more than 35 miles per hour, other than to cross the state highway or county road with a speed limit more than 35 miles per hour, at a 90 degree angle (right angle) in order to travel from one County roadway to another County roadway and only when the operation can be done safely.
- Any permitted use shall still be subject to all state statutes and relevant County ordinances applicable to the operation of motor vehicles, including speed limits and parking restrictions
- The number of passengers permitted on any Golf Cart, Off-Road Vehicles, or other like vehicle may not exceed the number of passengers recommended by the Vehicle's manufacturer.
- Golf Carts shall only be operated between March 15 and October 31. Golf Carts shall only be operated between sunrise and sunset.
- Golf Carts may not operate, regardless of date, when there is one inch or more of snow accumulation.
- The Porter County Sheriff’s Department is authorized to enforce the terms and provisions of this Ordinance.
- The first violation of this section shall subject the owner and/or operator of the golf cart to a fine of $100.00.
- A second violation of this section shall subject the owner and/or operator of the golf cart to a fine of $150.00.
- A third violation of this section shall subject the owner and/or operator of the golf cart to a fine of $200.00 and revocation of their operating permit for a term of one year from the date of the third violation.