Vaccination Eligibility & Appointments
Vaccination Implementation Plan
The Porter County Health Department (PCHD) is required to administer vaccines based on the directives of the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH). PCHD may not vary from the ISDH directives and may face a fine of $1 million per incident if there are violations of the directives.
In general, ISDH will follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control Advisory Committee. ISDH has identified the potential number of persons in sub-groups of each priority group and will offer vaccinations to those sub-groups as vaccine doses become available. These sub-groups have been identified based upon allocation of limited resources and identified risk stratification by the CDC.
ISDH will notify persons in each sub-group when they become eligible for vaccination directly, through their employers or by public announcement and will provide those persons with a link to a vaccination registration website. When an eligible person registers, they will enter the zip code of their residence and be directed to the vaccination site that is geographically closest to them. The Porter County Health Department has provided an offsite location to serve as one of those vaccination sites.
Effective March 1st At The Porter County Health Department Locations:
IF YOU HAVE A SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT FOR YOUR FIRST DOSE:
Beginning on Monday, March 1st, those persons who have a scheduled appointment for their FIRST DOSE will receive the Pfizer Vaccine. Before leaving, we will set up an appointment for you to receive your second dose which will also be Pfizer.
IF YOU HAVE A SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT FOR YOUR SECOND DOSE:
Beginning on Monday, March 1st, those persons who have a scheduled appointment for their second dose, and previously received the Moderna Vaccine for their first dose, will receive the Moderna Vaccine for their second dose.
We ask for your patience during this time. ISDH is frequently modifying the vaccination priorities and schedules. The PCHD will update this information when notified by ISDH.
Porter County Vaccination Sites As Of February 7
Northshore Health Clinic
407 W Indiana Ave, Chesterton. Go To REGISTRATION SITE, enter your zip code when asked, then choose NORTHSHORE HC CHSTRTON INDAV VAX
Porter County Health Department
North County Government Annex, 3590 Willowcreek Rd, Suite C, Portage. Go to REGISTRATION SITE, enter your zip code when asked, then choose Porter Co Willowcreek VAX
Northshore Health Clinic
6050 Sterling Creek Rd, Portage. Go to REGISTRATION SITE, enter your zip code when asked, then choose NORTHSHORE HC PRTAGE STERCREEK VAX
6050 US Hwy 6, Portage. To schedule an appointment at the Meijer Pharmacy, go to the MEIJER WEBSITE.
Porter County Health Department
Porter County Expo Center, 215 E Division Rd, Valparaiso. Go to REGISTRATION SITE, enter your zip code when asked, then choose PORTER CO HD COVID VAX
Northwest Health (formerly known as Porter Hospital)
85 E US Hwy 6, Valparaiso. Go to REGISTRATION SITE, enter your zip code when asked, then choose Northwest Health Porter VAX
1001 N Sturdy Rd, Valparaiso. Registration at HealthLinc is by phone only. Call 1-888-580-1060 to schedule an appointment.
If your first choice of locations does not have appointments available, you can choose another location or keep checking back. For more information about vaccine safety and what to expect when you go to be vaccinated GO HERE.
Updated March 2, 2021
ISDH Announces That Vaccinations Are Now Open For Ages 55 And Over
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. WALK-INS WILL NOT BE SERVED.
Residents age 55 and older can self-register for a vaccine appointment.
To register online go to the link below, then click on the red bar at the top of the page where it says "Click Here To Find A Vaccination Site And Register".
A friend or family member also can make an appointment on behalf of a qualifying individual. But the person registered will be required to provide photo identification before they will be given the COVID-19 immunization.
Residents age 55 and older who do not have internet access or are unable to register online can call 2-1-1 for an appointment and/or secure transportation. A friend or family member also can make an appointment on behalf of a qualifying individual. But, the person registered will be required to provide photo identification before they will be given the vaccine.
VACCINATION PHASES - UPDATED 3/2/21
You will find the phases and current status of each phase below. This will be updated regularly as more information is provided. Please note that this information is subject to change as directed by ISDH.
PLEASE NOTE: PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL PERSONS WHO ARE INCLUDED IN THE CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE GROUPS.
Healthcare Personnel – Currently Eligible
- Physicians, osteopathic physicians, primary care providers, rural health providers, OBGYNs, Pediatricians, surgeons, dermatologists, neurologists, cardiologists, ed physicians, anesthesiologists, physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, nurse midwives, emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, advanced EMT, paramedic, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistant, physical therapists, physical therapy assistant, respiratory care practitioners, speech pathologists, audiologists, certified direct entry midwives, certified nurse aides, home health aides, qualified medication assistants, direct support professionals, radiation therapists, radiology technicians, nuclear medicine technologists, limited radiographers, physicists, psychologists, acupuncturists, athletic trainer, chiropractors, dentists, dental hygienists, dietitians, massage therapists, optometrists, ophthalmologists, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns/students, podiatrists, genetic counselor, licensed social workers, clinical social workers, marriage & family therapists, mental health counselors, marriage and family associates, addiction counselors, clinical addiction counselor, mental health associate, addiction counselor associate, clinical addition counselor associate, applied behavioral analysis therapists, board certified behavior analysts, schools nurses, medical interpreters, higher ed students enrolled in a health profession program and receiving patient-facing clinical training (medical, nursing, etc.), local health department staff working at a COVID-19 testing sites or other patient-facing clinic, coroners, funeral directors.
- Other staff in a healthcare facility who have direct contact with patients, such as: dietary, environmental services, administrators who have direct contact with patients, clergy who see patients in the healthcare setting, non-clinicians who assist in procedures, transportation staff, etc.
- Facilities/Other Providers: Hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, FQHCs, inpatient, outpatient, provider office settings, in-home providers, maternal/infant home visitation programs,blood/plasma centers, birthing centers, home health agencies, hospice providers, palliative care providers, ambulatory surgical centers, community health clinics, intermediate care facilities for individuals with intellectual disabilities (ICF/IID), personal care service agencies, clinical laboratories, COVID-19 testing laboratories, community mental health centers.
- If you are currently working in a congregate living facility for youth (group home, residential care facility, child caring institution, private security facility, juvenile detention facility, etc.) and have direct contact with or provide in-person care to residents.
Long-term Care Facility Residents– Currently Eligible
Vaccinations for long-term care facilities wil be administered onsite at the facility by CVS/Walgreens personnel.
- Nursing homes
- Assisted living facilities
- Residential care facilities
- Independent living facilities
- Group homes
First responders (full-time, part-time, reservists, volunteers) – Currently Eligible
- Law Enforcement
- Indiana State Police
- Municipal/town police departments
- College, university, school corporation, and hospital police agencies
- County sheriff departments
- DNR conservation officers
- Fire departments (including volunteer)
- Emergency Medical Services Agencies
- Department of Correction