Absentee By Mail
To vote absentee-by-mail in Indiana, a voter must be able to personally mark their own ballot and sign their name to the completed ballot security envelope and have a reason to request an absentee vote-by-mail ballot:
- You have a specific, reasonable expectation that you will be absent from the county on Election Day during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open (6 am until 6 pm).
- You will be confined to your residence, a health care facility, or a hospital due to illness or injury during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You will be caring for an individual confined to a private residence due to illness or injury during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You have a disability.
- You are at least 65 years old.
- You will have official election duties outside of your voting precinct.
- You are scheduled to work at your regular place of employment during the entire 12 hours that the polls will be open.
- You are unable to vote at the polls in person due to observance of a religious discipline or religious holiday during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open.
- You are an voter eligible to vote under the "fail safe" procedures in IC 3-10-11 or 3-10-12.
- YOu are a member of the Indiana National Guard deployed or on assignment in Indiana or a public safety officer.
- You are a "serious sex offender" as defined in Indiana Code 35-42-4-14(a).
- You are prevented from voting due to the unavailability of transportation to the polls.
- Go to INDIANA VOTERS PORTAL and log into “my voter portal page” by entering the requested information exactly as it appears on your voter registration record. When on the main landing page, select the “ABS-Mail (Por Correo)” option and enter the information as prompted. After clicking “submit,” a confirmation screen appears that allows the voter to download and retain a copy for their records. There is no need to sign and return the online submission since the system applies the voter’s registration signature to the application on the back-end.
- DOWNLOAD An Application for Absentee By Mail
- SUBMIT AN ONLINE REQUEST
for an Application for Absentee Ballot By Mail.
- EMAIL a request for the Application form.
- Call us at (219) 465-3485 and we will email you the Application form. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- EMAIL the completed Application form.
- Fax the completed Application form to (219) 465-3497.
- Mail the completed Application to Elections & Registration, Porter County Administration Center, 155 Indiana Ave., Suite 105, Valparaiso IN 46383
- Hand deliver in person to Elections & Registration Office, Porter County Administration Center, 155 Indiana Ave., Suite 105, Valparaiso IN 46383. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>