About the Auditor's Office
Indiana's 92 county auditors serve as their county's Chief Fiscal Officer, with numerous responsibilities in local government finance and administration.
Working cooperatively with the County Commissioners, the County Council, County Assessor, Recorder, Treasurer, and other county departments, we are committed to accurate and timely property tax bills, thorough financial reporting, efficient distribution of tax funds to local government units, and effective budget planning and cash flow management. We work with taxpayers to ensure they receive tax deductions for which they are eligible and to help resolve their tax issues.
Duties of the County Auditor's office include:
- Compilation of the annual budget and administration of transfers and appropriations
- Accounting for all federal grants
- Distribution of tax revenue to taxing units in the county
- Property tax deductions applications and compliance
- Property deed transfers
- Parcel number maintenance, including parcel splits and combines
- Calculation of annual real property abatements and all abatement imposed fees
- Calculation of TIF values, including annual TIF neutralization
- Certification of net assessed values for use in setting tax rates
- Claims processing and payment, fund receipting
- Preparation of annual county financial report (regulatory basis and beginning in 2020, GAAP report); preparation of annual financial reports for the Porter County Government Charitable Non Profit Foundation and Porter County Redevelopment Commission
About Porter County Auditor Vicki Urbanik, CPA, CGFM, EA
Vicki is a licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM). She holds the credential of Enrolled Agent (EA), the highest tax professional credential awarded by the IRS. She is also a Level II Assessor. Since 2017, she has represented Porter County as an officer with the Indiana County Auditors' Association, currently serving as the 2021 President. In 2018, she was honored with the "Achievement of the Year Award" from the Association of Government Accountants, and in 2019, she was named the Up and Coming Woman of the Year by the Influential Women of Northwest Indiana.
Prior to beginning her first term as Auditor in 2015, Vicki worked as the Porter County Council's Budget and Finance Specialist and served for four years as vice-president on the Porter County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals. She previously was a long-time journalist in Porter County. She authors both this website and the Auditor's Office Facebook page.